So, once a person steps into the world of IIT, they are in awe of the ambiance and the legacy with which these institutes operate. There are many underlying facts about IIT -Indian Institute of Technology that might interest you. All the potential IIT-ians should definitely know a little more about the history of such institutes where they are going to step in.
Getting into an IIT is a dream for many aspiring engineers after all these institutes carry with it an inspiring legacy and repute of its own.
Here are few such facts about IIT that you must know.
- The very first batch that commenced in IIT consisted only of boys. In fact, it was in the year 1981 that a woman metallurgist in Indian history graduated from IIT. And ironically, in the very same year, a girl was admitted in Mechanical Engineering at IIT Bombay for the first time.
- The roof of Dogra Hall at IIT Delhi is a hyperbolic paraboloid. It has been designed to be supported only at the ends, there are no supporting structures in the middle. Owing to the design,the building looks like a ship.
- This fact about IIT Roorkee is surely a great one. It is said that this campus has the highest internet speed in India, much over the world’s average and almost 6 times that of India’s average speed of the internet.
- Now a staff quarter in IIT Kharagpur, the place was called a ‘Bomb House’ owing to the fact that during World War, the Britishers used to store bombs there.
- IIT Kharagpur let alone occupies an area of 8.5 SqKM which is equal to the area of Vatican City and Monaco take into account thrice.
- It is believed IIT Kanpur has its own airstrip for Aeronautical Engineering students.
- Some of the noted alumni from IIT Delhi includes Kiran Bedi, Chetan Bhagat, Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal. Interestingly, the owner of Flipkart Sachin and Binny Bansal, every year hire engineers from IIT to work for them.
- IIT Madras has the high number of student across any IIT, it has registered over 6,380 out of 8,000 students as regular attendees at its mess in the morning which is by far the largest percentage of any college population in India to attend a breakfast as an event.
- Shaastra is an annual festival in IIT Madras, but what makes it unique is the fact that it is the only student festival to be ISO 9001:2000 certified.
10 . In 1975, IIT Bombay started its annual cultural festival called “Mood Indigo” , which is deemed as Asia’s largest cultural festival. In fact, within years of it starting, many celebs made their presence felt in the event.
Now these were some real insights of India’s most reputed engineering college – Indian Institute of Technology. But if you think you know some more facts about IIT and would like to add to the article. Please share with us in the comment box below.