JEE Advanced 2017 eligibility criteria inform JEE Advanced aspirants about the required qualifications in terms of qualifying exam, age, and others as specified by the exam committee. Candidates who will clear JEE Main 2017 will be eligible to write and appear for JEE Advanced 2017.
JEE Advanced is conducted for admissions to undergraduate engineering programs at IITs , ISM Dhanbad, and other related institutes. Through this article, we are highlighting the eligibility criteria of JEE Advanced 2017 to be fulfilled by aspirants in order to appear for the exam.
JEE Advanced 2017 Eligibility Criteria
A candidate, including a foreign national, must fulfill each of the below five criteria to be eligible to appear for JEE Advanced 2017.
- Criteria 1: Performance in JEE Main 2017 – Only the top 2 lakh candidates (including all categories) who qualify in the Paper 1 of JEE Main 2017 are eligible to appear for JEE Advanced 20170examination. The percentage of various categories include: 27% for OBC-NCL, 15% for SC, 7.5% for ST and the remaining 50.5% is OPEN for all.Within each of these four categories, 3% horizontal reservation is available for PwD (including Dyslexic) candidates.
Category No. of top candidates Total Open 97,970 1,01,000 Open – PwD 3,030 OBC-NCL 52,380 54,000 OBC-NCL-PwD 1,620 SC 29,100 30,000 SC-PwD 900 ST 14,550 15,000 ST-PwD 450
- Criteria 2: Age Limit – Candidates must be born on or after October 1, 1992 (after October 01, 1987 for SC/ST/PwD candidates).
- Criteria 3: Number of attempts – a candidate can attempt JEE Advanced a maximum of two times and that too in consecutive years. Candidates, who had appeared for JEE Advanced in 2016 are also eligible to appear for JEE Advanced 2017.
- Criteria 4: Appearance in Class XIIth –
- Candidates appearing for JEE Advanced 2017 should have appeared for Class 12th exam (or equivalent) for the first time in either 2016 or 2017. Candidates who appeared for the Class XII (or equivalent) examination in 2016 and wish to re-appear for Class 12th in 2017 (either for improvement or because they failed in one or more subjects), will have to re-appear in all the subjects in 2017.
- Candidates, who have appeared for Class 12th (or equivalent) examination in 2015 or earlier, are NOT eligible. Nevertheless, candidates, whose Class XII examination Board results for the academic year 2014-15 were declared after June 2015, are eligible to appear for JEE (Advanced) 2017.
- Criteria 5: Admission at IITs/ISM: Candidates appearing for JEE Advanced 2017 should not have taken admission or even accepted admission by paying the admission fee (complete or in part) at any IIT or ISM in the past. Candidates whose admission was canceled are also NOT eligible. But such candidates are, however, eligible who have been admitted to a preparatory course in any of the IITs in 2016. Candidates who have been admitted to a preparatory course in any of the IITs for the first time in 2016 can appear in JEE (Advanced) 2017.
- The candidate should be in Top 20 Percentile or 75 per cent marks in the Class XII board exam, whichever is lower. In other words, an aspirant, who has qualified JEE, should either figure in the top 20% performers of the Class XII Board examination or marks at least 75% to be eligible for admission to IITs.
- In the case of reserved categories like SC and ST candidates, the cut-off will be 70% in board examination.
*Kindly note, this article is created on the basis of JEE Advanced 2016 information. The posts/articles are being updated as and when we get updates from JEE Advanced 2017 organizing committee.
To know your exam preparation level, download our All India Test Series – PrepLane
Subscribe to our blog on http://bit.ly/1UIJCQL and stay updated on the latest happenings in the JEE arena & get tips and tricks from Top 100 JEE Rankers.